Friday, October 02, 2009

DBOA Radio Series 01

In preparation for the 40th anniversary of the burning of the Isla Vista branch of the Bank of America, February 1970, I am downloading the entire "Don't Bank on Amerika" radio series that ran on KCSB-FM during the last half of the 1980s.



In this series opener (length: 0:48:35), that takes place in Fall of 1968, subjects touched upon include:

-- The United Front
-- Isla Vista background history
-- Chancellor Cheadle talking about the United Front
-- The Black Students Union
-- SDS
-- Police harrassment
-- Obscenity on campus

Tape quality sometimes is poor, as these recordings were digitized from my personal cassette copies of the original program that -- I think -- is still archived in the KCSB Public Affairs archives (hopefully of better quality).

Also, I was never much of a radio announcer/producer. In order to do it right, you have to go with the very best take and if that one's not good enough, you cut it again and get it where it needs to be. I never felt I had that kind of time, so I slapped this 30-some individual audio documentary episodes together as best as I could, as fast as I could. Even so, I believe it is still listenable, certainly educational, and even fun hearing protagonists of the day along with music of the era.

I hope you enjoy it, warts and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment