Saturday, August 21, 2004

Radical Union Notes From Steve Denney, 3/26/2002

Short note from Malcolm: I am continuing to slowly backfill the DBOA Blog with correspondence I've received over the years that I have managed to save. This one is from Steve Denney, dated March 26, 2002. When you have time, checkout Steve's website; awesome job on Southeast Asia.

------------------------

I appreciate your web site. I was a student at UCSB from 1968-71, I dropped
out and finished my education in Oregon.

I attended a few Radical Union meetings during the 1969-70 school year. But
I always felt out of place there and never got to know anyone. Truth is I
did not in my heart believe in what they believed. To be radical then meant
to embrace a libertine lifestyle while at the same time supporting the most
totalitarian regimes in the world, such as China, North Vietnam, Cuba. I remember seeing the Bank of America burning down. I know some people who
were involved in the riots, former high school classmates of mine. I also
participated in the final demonstration in June 1970 to protest what was
basically a police riot.

I would be interested to know what happened to some of the leaders at that
time, such as Lefty Bryant, Jim Gregory, Greg Knoll (?), etc.

best regards,

Steve Denney

IndoChina

No comments:

Post a Comment